Thursday, April 7, 2011

SAT - Reading response: Comics chapter 3 and 4

I really enjoyed reading chapter 3. I liked the whole idea of the gutter that is within comics and within art. I never had referred to it as a gutter before but that term fits perfect with it. Especially in a series of sequential prints of art work. This gutter allows the audience to assume what will happen or what is going to happen next. A way I though linked this back to art is when an artist has a cohesive theme within their art exhibition. Like in Cynthia Sherman’s work the viewer assumes the whole scene that is being depicted my how Sherman has set up the seen that is photographed. Because the artists leaves out certain elements which allows the viewer to think it also allows the viewer to make assumptions about the invisible and visible elements of the art work. This totally goes with the article about Duchamp and how the artist loses control of the work once the viewer sees it because the viewer is allowed to make assumptions. 
In chapter 4 it discuses the idea of time and space. And what I like about this was how artists use tools and different techniques to convey this. 

1 comment: