Friday, April 15, 2011

Art show= Bridging Through The Arts:Transracial Community Building

I extremely enjoyed this art show. The range of different styles and mediums was very interesting. The art show consisted of paintings, collages, and photographs. All of the works of art had a narrative aspect to them. The first art work that was on the walls of the MCC lounge was by Evan Bissell. It was a collaborative work between the artist and prisoners and there families, it was titled What Cannot Be Taken Away: Families and Prisons Project. It was through weekly workshops that the participants were able to come up with there own ideas that then Bissell translated into 8ft by 5ft paintings. These are just 4 of the 8 he did.

Another piece of work that I was interested in a lot was by Ozi Magana entitled La Sonrisa . The depiction is just breath taking. When I first stood in front of it I did not see the hands grasping out for the woman that was placed in the middle. The placement of the middle figure and the smaller figures just glide together perfectly. The figure having a skull as a face is very interesting since the smaller figures have faces. 

I also really like this painting by Fabian Debora entitled Shinning Star. The arm colors and the size really has inspired me to go bigger with my paintings and to take more risks with my content. 





No comments:

Post a Comment