Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Enrique Martinez Celaya

I recived a lot from this presentation. Enrique Martinez Celaya is a Cuban born artist. He went into science first because that is what his parents wanted. I really could relate with him about this. My parents struggled to give me the opportunities that I have and they also wanted me to go into science and become a doctor. I struggled with wanted to please my parents and wanted to be genuinely happy with my life. I am glad to know that people have had a similar experience as me. 

His work is amazing. And amazing in the large scale of it. He goes from wood sculptures to large paintings. He takes big risks with his work but it pays off. Each painting emits emotions when looking at it. My favorite paintings were the simple ones that were just black and white with very minimal detail. The shape is all that is need to understand what Enrique Martinez Celaya s trying to convey. During his presentation he shared with us a question that others would ask him "Was it worth it?". I never thought about things with that question but I like that idea of asking myself that to see if I have taken my art work as far as it can go. By asking this question I will know if I took risks and pushed boundaries. 









No comments:

Post a Comment