Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Monday April 25, 2011 lecture

Lecture 5. Personal Narrative 
1.) Based in the real
2.) includes signifying details
3.) non-transferable
4.) allows audience empathy via specificity

This lecture reinforced what art is. And for this class and I think for the rest of my art carrier art is making meaning happen. I want people to always be able to feel some kind of emotion through my art. I want to evoke all the human senses. My art work is very close to me and is always personal so I want people to feel what I was feeling in that moment that I decided to capture.


This picture is an amazing narrative. Learning how the photographer risked his life to take it and knowing that this man being photographed was not trying to be a hero but was standing up for what he believed in. 


Every image goes on to tell a story. We look at them and we want to know what is happening and we want to know the out come of these peoples lives. This image is making meaning happen. 



Making meaning happen does not have to evoke a sad emotion , it can evoke happiness and love. Sally Mann's images do just that. They are beautiful rendered and show a childes innocents. 

Personal narrative is hard not to have in a piece of work. The art work becomes a part of you and you a part of it. So maybe all art is in a way personal narrative in different forms. 

No comments:

Post a Comment