Tuesday, April 19, 2011

April 18th 2011 lecture


When I think about mapping I think about life. A map shows all the many different aspects of life. This image above made me re-think everything about what I know thus far in my life. I was shown this in my Chicano/ Chicana Studies class. It makes me think a lot about how we as a civilization were told something and believed it without ever questioning it. 

After the lecture I thought about how I have unknowingly mapped my own life. When I was twelve ears old me and my best friend made are own sisterhood with each other. This involved us to make a list of rules to be apart of this very exclusive group and we also made a list of what we wanted to accomplish in life. This list was kept in a photo album that we made together and over time we added more pictures and ideas to it. Looking at it today we have not really stayed true to all the rules( some of the rules we ridiculous like not wearing any tied dyed shirts). But we stayed true to our goals and have achieved them both.  

Min-Yi Lin's piece entitled tribe #4 made a huge impact on me. It was simple beautiful. It shows what a community is. I think that in today's society people live a faster paste lifestyle and lose site of what it means to belong to something that works together. 




The Chilean Arpilleras I thought was a great way of understanding mapping. Not only are the Chilean women commenting on the injustice that they were experiencing in their country but they were also connecting back to the tradition of their ancestors of telling their story/history with the use of textiles. These works become more powerful with the understanding on what they are showing. 





No comments:

Post a Comment