Monday, April 4, 2011

Lecture Monday April 4th

I liked the theme of this lecture being based on identity. And how classification is a human instinct now. I have always had issues with being classified, to be put in a box when I was younger. I hated filling out information boxes about myself and being told I could only check one box for my ethnicity. This always made me angry because I am half Mexican and half Black. I did not feel that checking other was an ethnicity.

The portraits that were viewed in lecture were different from what I first would say was a portrait. I was intrigued by Cindy Sherman's images of herself with different persona's. Yolanda Lopez's work struck a cord with me because I could relate to the art work, a depiction of a Chicana as Our Lady Of Guadalupe running with a snake in her hand. This image is about conveying power because the girl in running, running to gain control of her life and her destiny. The colors are very warm and and vibrant. Yolanda Lopez’s work is commenting on the Mexican American woman and the stereotypes that have been placed on them in the work place and in every day life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment