Saturday, April 2, 2011

ch. 1 & 2 of Understanding Comics

Chapter 1 opened my eyes to realize just what is a comic. I had always viewed comic books and comic art as starting in the 20th century with my own personal reading of X-men comic books when I was younger. But McCloud forced me to review how I look at ancient texts and depictions to also be considered comic book art.  That these are the first examples of comic art that come from thousands of years ago. 

What interested me the most was how it developed over time and by who. The artist Max Ernest I had know from art history classes for his surrealist paintings, however this book informed me of his “182 plate sequence of collages”.  These images were not meant to be skimmed over but to be looked at in depth, to read the story the artists is trying to convey with each print. After viewing a couple of the images I was able to figure out what I thought each story was for each print. I took my own interpretation because it is all visual with no text. Sometimes I feel that that is the best way to actually view art and comic art. 



Chapter 2 was very interesting about how we connect images as being real. The idea that cartoons always appeal to people in a humanistic way.That as humans we look at something and try to relate it back to humans. To find the eye and the mouth that are shown as a dot and a straight line on a happy face and everyone recognises it as a face even though it looks nothing like a human face. 

No comments:

Post a Comment