Friday, April 15, 2011

confession:fearful/scary moment.

The most fearful scary moment I had was when I was ten years old. I have a huge love for being in the water. I grew up with a pool and learned at a very young age how to swim. I was on competitive swim teams for three years already. I was a confident swimmer and that I think was my weakness. I was at Camp Pendleton Beach in California with my family and cousins. We had been there a week already camping on the beach and every day I was in the water. However the tide had become stronger as the second week progressed. I being naive at ten years old and thinking I was unstoppable did not pay attention to my uncle who told me to stay close to the shore that day. I was playing in the waves with my much older cousin, who was holding my hand. Diving under the waves as the came crashing onto the beach. We had swam out far enough so that our feet could not touch the ocean floor. I got distracted by my other cousins in the distance behind us and got hit by a wave. I was holding my cousins hand really tight but the wave was so much stronger then me. I was engulfed within the wave as it thrashed me farther and father under the water. I could not tell which way was up and which way was down. I panicked and tried to swim out of the centrifugal force of the wave, but in doing so I swam down and hit the ocean floor. I did not know what do and I needed air so I stopped fighting with the wave and let it take me. Luckily it pushed me back to shore and not farther out into the ocean. My cousin was freaking out because he could not find me he waved to the lifeguard and the lifeguard spotted me and pulled me out. I felt like my lungs had been crushed but I was ok and only had bumps and bruises from it. To me It felt like I was under the water for ever. That day I thought it was last and in thinking that I learned to respect mother nature in all of its power. 

No comments:

Post a Comment