Monday, May 2, 2011

my favorite artist = Frida Kahlo

Frida Kahlo has been my favorite artist since I first started really looking at art. I have always like her ability to paint honesty. She was never afraid to tell the truth or to get gritty with her paintings. That is what I always admired most. She depicted a narrative within her paintings. Some paintings would contain text that would further explain the painting. The majority of her work was self portraits. She was completely influenced by her Mexican heritage and her family roots.

I have read a lot about her life and how she became the woman she was. She was definitely a woman before her time. She never tired to be like someone else other than herself. She never painted what others wanted to see but what she wanted to paint. My favorite quote from her is " I never painted my dreams or nightmares, I painted my own reality." The use of vibrant colors relates back to her Mexican heritage and culture that is filled with vibrant and rich history. 






No comments:

Post a Comment