Wednesday, May 18, 2011

monday's lecture

The Intersections of Art and Life
Yoko Ono's "Cut Piece" has always had  an impact on me. I thought her performance was beautifully done. Her sitting there in silence made her convey more emotion. The silence of wanting peace. She put herself in the most vulnerable state and she did not look like she was scared at all. I wish I had her ability to be that confident. 

Niki Lee is just amazing. Her commitment to becoming a different person by being completely emerged that persons lifestyle. Her performance is so great that the viewer forgets that she is pretending to be someone she isn't. She takes risks and I think that is why I admire her so much. 

Tehching Hsieh has totally blown my mind away with his performances. I think that his work is so interesting and beautiful at the same time. His "Cage Piece" was unbelievable. And the way he documented it was so creative. His other performance with fellow artist Linda Montano entitled "One Year Performance" raised the bar on performances piece to the ultimate level. The dedication to be connected to someone of the opposite sex for a year and be there for every single moment is so insane to me. What stuck with me most was the story that Kip told about the two artists later having sex and then Hsiech began his next performance where he would not discuss art or make art so he had to stay away from Montano because in his eyes she was the art that he helped create. 

No comments:

Post a Comment