Thursday, March 31, 2011

Monday, March 28, 2011 Lecture

Professor Fulbeck's lecture left me with an understanding of what art is. After countless times in other classes trying to explain and argue an answer to that question that is asked of every art major I feel that he was able to give me an answer that I will hopefully convey within my own art work. This idea of "making meaning happen". This is a link I found that inspired me more with creating my art work and being considered an artist and not just an art student. It is an interview of Chicano Artist David Avalos.








Also another topic I found interesting was the concept of icons. Icons are depicted everywhere. On billboards to t-shirts to images being placed on bags. I feel that these depictions of icons are seen so much in a persons day to day life that they forget to appreciate the image or even the person being depicted. For example when someone has one of the many infamous pictures of the icon Marilyn Monroe yet they do not even know the name of one of the many movies she was in. Being elevated to icon statues might be the goal for some people. That is the goal for most celebrities in Hollywood. A great quote that conveys this idea is by James Dean, he stated "If a man can bridge the gap between life and death.  I mean, if he can live on after he has died, then maybe he was a great man.  To me the only success, the only greatness, is immortality." And ironically James Dean died at a very young age which made him become immortal as an icon that generations and generations of people to come will still idealize. 




No comments:

Post a Comment